11.29.2009

Sunday Susurrus


susurrus \su-SUHR-uhs\, noun: A whispering or rustling sound; a murmur; a place to reflect on the Sabbath day, the blessings I've been given, the praises I have to offer, and the rumblings rattling around in my mind.

Feeling: A little far from God these days. I've been a Christian long enough to know that He hasn't left me, that He is the God Who is There, that He is good, and that this is a season I'm walking through that has a purpose. I was so looking forward to being in worship and hearing our pastor preach today after being in Philadelphia last week. Just as worship finished and the sermon started, E leaned over to me with her hand over her mouth and said, "I think I'm going to throw up!" and dashed out of the sanctuary. I ended up following her to the bathroom and then taking her home. Sigh. But, I know my days are numbered for taking care of her while she's sick. She'll be too grown soon to need her mom when she's ill, so it was a blessing to spend an hour or so alone with her. I'll get the CD and listen to it this week on the drive to work.

Laughing: Over the time we had last night drinking wine and eating dessert with three other couples. It was a casual, easy place to be. Best line of the night: "You mean you buried your Grandfather naked?"

Grateful: For my health. A friend's mother passed away this week. Another friend is gravely ill. Another friend is struggling with various conditions that could add up to some pretty serious stuff. My mom is still recovering from heart surgery this past summer. My brother-in-law is suffering with kidney stones. With all that on my mind, I'm so very grateful for a body (though far from perfect!) that was capable of walking 13.1 miles last week. (It's VERY important not to forget about the 0.1 mile!)

Hearing: The Boy play the guitar and The Girl M sing with the praise team this morning. It was a surprise to see her up there and a delight to see them together leading worship. I'm still hearing them sing and play We Fall Down. Glad I made it through worship before having to leave!

Happy: We made it for the sign-up for the Half Marathon at Myrtle Beach in February. It was almost full...Yeah!

Blessed: By my husband and all the talents he has to help take care of me and the kids and our home. He's upstairs now with a circular saw cutting out our bathtub to prepare for installation of a new one. :-) Yesterday he took Mary on a long bike ride in full "biker" gear. A few nights ago he sat up with E just talking about life. And he has the wisdom to know how to be available but not intrusive to Sean as he's making decisions about his future.

Thinking: About something a husband of one of the couples we were with last night said as we were discussing wives (ahem) throwing things at husbands. He said, "I wish she would throw something at me. She's usually just mean. I can't dodge "mean"!" The whole conversation was in jest, and we were laughing, but there was a lot of truth in what he said. When we're just plain "mean" to each other with our actions, words, or attitudes, it's awfully hard to get out of the way. It's a lot easier to dodge a projectile plate than a harsh word. I've been thinking about that in reference not just to my relationship with Matt, but with my kids and friends, too.

Inspired: To draw! I'm on a drawing jag the last couple of days, it seems. (See my Sing Loud drawing I just finished above. Yes, grammarians, I'm sure I should have put Sing Loud-LY but I didn't like the way that looked! And, yes, that's a chicken. Matt says it's a duck-chicken, but I say it's a CHICKEN-chicken.)

Wanting: To follow the Advent Season closely this year. I love the idea of the lighting of the Advent candles, of anticipating through the gathering illumination of the coming of Christ. I read this devotion book during Advent last year and think I will do so again, along with following the Scripture readings in the Book of Common Prayer.

Blessings, bloggy friends. And Happy Advent Sunday!

No comments:

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4