3.07.2009

Through His Eyes: Chapter 3

I'm happy to be hosting this book discussion with Megan at Half-Pint House and Kristy at Prone to Wander.

Through His Eyes: God's Perspective on Women in the Bible by Jerram Barrs, Chapter 3: "Eve, Bearer of the Promise of Redemption"

On to another chapter. It's been good news, bad news, and now good news again. The first three chapters have been all about Eve. (That's the name of a movie, isn't it?) Chapter one was the good news that Eve (and we) are made in the image of God. Chapter two was the bad news of the Fall. And now chapter three explores the wonder and reality of Redemption and how Eve was the carrier of the Seed Who would become our Savior.

I was greatly encouraged by this chapter...and with the Indescribable video by Luigi Giglio still fresh in my mind after last night's small group, I think I appreciated what Barrs had to say about the plan of Redemption all the more. It's hard to pick just a couple of things to talk about from this chapter...so much to choose from: the Nietzsche quote at the beginning, the idea of no other worldview except Christianity acknowledges things just aren't the way they're supposed to be, how the birth of children are a reflection of our hope in the Seed of Eve, etc, etc. But, here's the two thoughts that struck me the strongest:

First, "God's coming to them (Eve and Adam), his presence with them in the Garden each day, is in itself an affirmation of his love. He comes to them to assure them of continued care, to seek them out and communicate with them rather than leaving them in their disobedience and proud rebellion. God does the same for each one of us. We did not go seeking all over the world to try to find God. Rather, he came and sought each one of us and found us even in our willful turning from him, even in our insistence on going our own way, even in our state of disobedience and proud rebellion." (page 45)

These words made me stop and remember how God sought me, how He held me in His hand for so many years when I was pretending He didn't exist, or at least that He wasn't relevant. He sought me, protected me, carved out a path for me to walk that kept bringing me right back to Him. I think about how He still does that now...how I am so prone to wander, so prone to leave the God I love. Yet, in His grace, He pulls me back again and again...sometimes with a soft tug, sometimes with a painful yank. This magnificent grace should be an example to me to pour out grace to others who knowingly or unknowingly hurt me. Yet, how quick I am to turn my back, to hide away, to pretend they don't exist? Ouch. I think my conscious just got pricked.

Second, "God promises that he will put enmity between Eve and Adam and Satan. This may not seem so good...However, the point is that God, instead of abandoning us to Satan, has rather declared that we are on his side, that we are enemies against Satan along with God in the battle that rages down through history between the kingdom of God and the kingdom of darkness...God has not handed us over or given us up to the powers of darkness; rather he has set us against the forces of Satan, and he has put enmity between those forces and us." (page 45)

This was new to me. God, in His cursing, still blessed us by aligning us with Him and not with Satan. What a deep, deep mercy to think about.

So - what did you all think? I'd love to hear what you gleaned or what touched your heart the most.

Blessings to you and yours tonight.

2 comments:

Megan said...

God, in His cursing, still blessed us by aligning us with Him and not with Satan. What a deep, deep mercy to think about.

Indeed. Thanks for that reminder and your thoughts from chapter 3.

One passage I underlined (that may be ringing even more true for me today in light of my morning issue with my daughter, well, with myself) was on page 48:

"So I may conclude with Paul that it is no longer I, no longer my true self, but rather the sin that dwells within me that has this ongoing commitment to evil. The new me, the true me with a new name, that Eve's seed is creating in me will one day be the only me, and on that day I will obtain the glorious liberty of being a child of God, a sister or brother of Christ who will only desire what is good."

This sin that dwells within me that has this ongoing commitment to evil?

I've never thought of it that way, though it makes complete sense. At last, I'm consistent in something: my ongoing commitment to evil. Congratulations, Megan.

Seriously, I can only even bear the truth of that when I consider it in light of the other, also equally true statement: The new me, the true me with a new name, ... will one day be the only me.

I'm not sure I'll recognize myself.

K said...

Hello! a few thoughts on Ch. 3-

1. I am grateful for the beginning of the chapter, reminding us of the wonder of the Word, of the truth of the biblical account. "No other account makes much sense of our world. No other account fits the facts of the sorry record of human evil. No other account gives an adequate explanation of the troubles of our lives..." (p.43) So often doesn't it seem that the only thing we can say to offer explanation for the chaos of the world, of OUR OWN world, is "sin." And yet, thankfully, our story does not end there. We have Good News.

2) B! like you, I noted the same passage, and highlighted the same sentence from p.45, on God's coming to Eve and Adam in the Garden as an affirmation of His love, and "God does the same for each one of us." Me?! ME?! In the questions, Barr asked, "Do you identify with CS Lewis' words- 'I gave in, admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert.'? YES! and still, He seeks me out?! He seeks ME out. Thank you Lord for such grace!

3) I am thankful for the reminder that, through the Seed of Eve, we have reconciliation through Christ. "He calls me to love... and He empowers me so that I am enabled to do this... In every relationship I have he calls me to be a servant, as he has served me, whether at home, at work, or in the wider society. He calls me to be reconciled across all barriers of gender, race, social status, or whatever other barrier there might be, for he is my peace..." (p.48)

4) on hospitality- I have to say, I never have thought of Eve and hospitality together. But yes, "He calls us to intimate fellowship with him..." and "He calls us, in turn, to welcome friends, neighbors, and strangers to our table so they can share in our enjoyment of his good gifts to us." (p. 50)

and more. But I'll stop.
See you in Ch. 4. :-)

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4