3.24.2010

Stations of the Cross - Day 4

Today's station is "Jesus Meets His Mother."

My Jesus, Lord,
I know what you are telling me.
To watch the pain of those we love
is harder than to bear our own.

To carry my cross after you,
I, too, must stand and watch
the sufferings of my dear ones –
the heartaches, sicknesses and grief
of those I love.

And I must let them watch mine, too.

These were powerful words for me today... watching a friend suffer with cancer, another whose illness has confounded all the specialists... but more... not just suffering from illnesses, but suffering from heartaches, too... broken hearts and homes, lost friendships and loves... and the grief... of deaths, of sins... and that special sorrow that comes from watching your child struggle through their own inevitable hurts.

Yes, carrying our cross definitely means watching those we love suffer. And letting them watch us, too.
Today I was inspired by this artist (or art playgroundist as she calls herself) and drew this little girl... standing and watching...

Feeling pretty icky right now, but praying to be able to go to the first meeting for a new women's Bible study at our church tonight.

No comments:

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4