3.06.2010

Keep Your Soul Diligently


Good Saturday Morning, bloggy friends! I don't know about you, but I sure am glad to see the weekend roll in. I'm continuing to read through the Bible using the Life Journal many in our church body are going through. After doing it pretty much faithfully for two months, I am beginning to feel the blessing deep in my soul of being in God's Word daily. I've been here before... disciplined to read the Bible everyday, working through it piece-by-piece, chewing on the stories, the Truths, the images throughout the day ... but, oh how I am prone to wander! How I am prone to leave the God I love! How easy it is for me to be too busy, to have too many other things to do (honestly, to just be plain lazy!) instead of spending time with the Lord each day. Will I ever learn and stay here in this place? Knowing my sinful heart, I'm sure I will wander again. But knowing God's faithfulness, I'm sure He will draw me yet again back to His Heart.

I've finally finished up Numbers this week and am moving into Deuteronomy. At some point this week I read Numbers 33 which is a recounting of Israel's 40 year journey from Egypt through the wanderings in the wilderness. Almost all of it is just a list of the names of camping sites... Etham, Elim, the wilderness of Sin, Mount Shepher, Jotbathah... names that sound exotic to my modern ears. Some of the locations are mentioned in other places in the Bible, but at least 17 of them are only mentioned in this one chapter. It's not exactly riveting reading. But, like everything given to us in the Bible, it's there for our instruction and edification. Hmmm...

So.... this put me on a path of thinking about the places I've "camped" in my (ahem) 41 years. And that got me to doodling and making a "life map." Then this morning I read this:

Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children... (Deuteronomy 4:9)


As I've been drawing the last couple of days and remembering the things God has done in my life and the people He has given me to walk with and to love, my heart has been refreshed. Yes, there has been sadness as I have included the hard things, even the tears that have fallen sometimes like rain. But there has been much, much more joy as I have seen God lead me on this path from camping site to camping site, where each place I have learned a little more about who I am and therefore more about Who He is.

So, bloggy friends, I wanted to share this with you from a creative-artsy point of view, but more importantly from a good-for-your-soul point of view. This exercise has blessed me tremendously this week as I've drawn and remembered, remembered and drawn. I'm still not finished yet... I'm thinking it needs a little color as I continue to meditate on what God has done with me so far. I challenge you to consider making your own map and see where God has taken you in this wondrous journey we call life.

Well, there's a washing machine calling my name, a husband who needs to get up, a website to be worked on, and four little girls asleep upstairs who will be needing stacks of pancakes soon!


(Note the puppy in the 2nd picture. She's been snoring away at my feet as I draw. Love her!)

Blessings~

1 comment:

giddy up said...

I liked what you wrote in your blog.... and your picture love it! Wrote down your bible verse too... thanks for sharing.

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4