Keep and Give Away:Poems by Susan Meyers, Paperback: 104 pages, Publisher: University of South Carolina Press (June 2, 2006), ISBN-10: 1570036705
Rating: 5 of 5 STARS
Source: Random pick off sale rack at local indie book store
I inhaled this little book. I picked it up on a whim from the sale shelf at The Country Book Shop and could.not.put.it.down. It's a collection of poems about nature, about the author's relationship with her husband, and about her mother's death. But it's about so much more, too.
She writes about the year she banished yellow from her life, about watching her husband mulch their garden, about an argument they had, about her mother washing dishes, about chickens and Spanish moss and little girls in swings and fishing and school buses and dying and praying and loving. Oh, my. If you've got a hankering to read something beautiful, get this book. Keep it by your bed and nibble your way through it. Now that I've gulped it down, that's what I'm going to do. Savor it day by day, piece by piece.
I was delighted to find Susan Meyers' blog here. And here's a poem or two of hers online for you to taste. Poetry is good for your soul. Try it. And it's good for your writing, too, no matter what type you do - nonfiction, fiction, essays... whatever. After finishing Keep and Give Away I wrote Sabbath Morning. It's doesn't touch the beauty of Meyers' poems, but I was happy with it for me.

Rating: 5 of 5 STARS
Source: Random pick off sale rack at local indie book store
I inhaled this little book. I picked it up on a whim from the sale shelf at The Country Book Shop and could.not.put.it.down. It's a collection of poems about nature, about the author's relationship with her husband, and about her mother's death. But it's about so much more, too.
She writes about the year she banished yellow from her life, about watching her husband mulch their garden, about an argument they had, about her mother washing dishes, about chickens and Spanish moss and little girls in swings and fishing and school buses and dying and praying and loving. Oh, my. If you've got a hankering to read something beautiful, get this book. Keep it by your bed and nibble your way through it. Now that I've gulped it down, that's what I'm going to do. Savor it day by day, piece by piece.
I was delighted to find Susan Meyers' blog here. And here's a poem or two of hers online for you to taste. Poetry is good for your soul. Try it. And it's good for your writing, too, no matter what type you do - nonfiction, fiction, essays... whatever. After finishing Keep and Give Away I wrote Sabbath Morning. It's doesn't touch the beauty of Meyers' poems, but I was happy with it for me.




No comments:
Post a Comment