Finally, I can share this with you! This is something I did for a friend at work who just had twin baby boys. They are BEAUTIFUL babies. I had wanted to make something special for him because he and his little family are so special. I actually started making this as something totally different and it turned into a 3-dimensional piece for the babies. It's a little bigger than I intended and I had a bit of trouble framing it. I'm still not really happy with the framing job, but I'll learn and get better! I've already learned that when I make something like this I need to think of the end product more so I can size it correctly.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with it and I think my friend liked it, too. I hope his wife did! At the top is their family by their new log cabin and to the left of the cabin is the manufacturing plant where we work.
The "earth" is mostly gouache paint, then the roads are black paint pen. The houses, trees, etc were drawn with Prismacolor pens and then colored with Primsacolor markers. I used 90#, 12"x18" watercolor paper (because the earth had an original layer of watercolor before I decided I didn't like how it looked. I probably should have switched to mixed media paper.) The cars, flowers, boat, etc. I drew and colored on the same paper, cut out, and mounted on the "earth" with little pop-up pads.
I haven't really worked on anything else since finishing this almost two months ago. Maybe now that it's been given away, I'll start on something new! I just found out another friend is expecting so maybe I'll start working a new "world" for her...

2 comments:
Just stopping by from creative every day... love your work! This circle painting especially caught my eye... I love working in circles: http://ellenschroeder.blogspot.com/
Love it!
Post a Comment