
A friend and I are going to read prayers from the Valley of Vision this Advent Season. We started yesterday and are using this schedule (see link at bottom of article). While neither of us think we'll be able to stop and read the prayers at the times specified each day, we plan to read all three assigned prayers daily. For me, with my current schedule and life, that means figuring out the best time of day. We are traveling this week (more on that later!) so there's an even bigger challenge with starting something like this while on the road.
The very first prayer (Self-Knowledge from Section III: Penitence and Deprecation) gave me much to chew on - nothing less than my sinful self! From the prayer, here is a list of my "needs" -
My lack of:
- Scriptural knowledge to know God's will
- Wisdom to guide others
- Spirit of prayer (i.e. words without love - ouch!)
- Daily repentance (without which I keep God at bay)
- Joy in God and His will
- Zeal for God's glory (seeking my own instead!)
- Love to others
Pretty complete list, I think. And as the prayer says - I'm asking God to give me the grace to recall my needs....
"And let me not lay my pipe too short of the fountain,
never touching the eternal spring,
never drawing down water from above."


No comments:
Post a Comment