7.06.2012

On Beekeeping

“Stings”
The biggest reason that puts people off beekeeping is the fear of being stung. One of the great myths about bees is that they are naturally aggressive. Unlike malicious wasps, a bee will only sting when it feels under threat. If a bee lands on a person away from the hive then it will have done so accidentally – it has mistaken you for a flower or shrub or it is simply tired and gathering itself. There is little risk of being stung. When someone comes too close to the front of a hive, though, or knocks into it (bees dislike vibration), then they are at risk of being stung and rapid movement is most likely to panic the bee. ~
from “Beekeeping Notebook”, emphasis mine.
bee notebookWhile I was in Denver last month (is it really already last month!?!) I picked up this sweet little Beekeeping Notebook.  Obviously, I like Bee-ish things and I couldn’t resist this small blank book with snippets of wisdom on how to keep bees. I especially couldn’t resist when I found sitting right next to it on the shelf a sister Henkeeping Notebook that I knew was a must-have for my buddy.
bee notebook inside
I knew right away I’d use it for list-making. Not grocery store list making, but memory keeping, long-term planning, pass-it-along list making. (Me and above buddy had recently perused The Pillow Book on Amazon, so I guess that’s the source of my inspiration.)
So, I’ve been adding lists here and there, some completed, some not. Here is a sampling:
  • My Favorite Things
  • Things I Did in Denver
  • Things I Want to Teach Mary about God & the Bible
  • Things to Tell My Girls
  • Who Has God Given Me?
  • On My Mind…
  • Verses Memorized
  • Things I Collect
  • Things to Start
  • What I’ve Cleaned
I can totally relate to the little bee in the passage above, confused and tired, just trying to find a spot to gather herself! Happens a lot to me these days! Just don't move too fast and I probably won't sting you! (smile)
Have a BEE-utiful day, bloggy friends!

No comments:

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4