4.02.2011

Book Review: A Streetcar Named Desire

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams, Paperback: 224 pages, Publisher: New Directions (September 2004), ISBN-10: 9780811216029
Rating: 5 of 5 STARS
Source: E had to read for Senior AP English class
As we were heading out last Friday for DC, Ellen asked if we could stop by a bookstore so she could pick up A Streetcar Named Desire because she needed to have read before she went back to school from Spring Break. I’m always up for a bookstore, so of course we stopped! (She also bought this and this since the Borders we stopped at was going out of business and was having a ginormous sale! She’s told me I should read both so I can have some idea of what’s going on in our country as I am totally oblivious these days. Oh, it’s going to be fun to have a Political Science major in the family!)
When we got back on the road, E started to nap so I began scanning Streetcar just to see if I could remember if I had read it in high school. I was hooked after about ten pages and didn’t want to put it down. E and I shared it back and forth all weekend and discussed it a bit as we went along.

I don’t think I had read this particular play of Tennessee Williams before. I’m pretty sure I read The Glass Menagerie and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. And I’m guessing it’s been since high school that I read a play. I really liked Streetcar and enjoyed the genre. It makes me want to read other plays and this looks like a good list to start with. (By the way, I saw Wit: A Play in movie form years ago and still recall how much it touched me. I didn’t realize it was a Pulitzer Prize winner. See it, if you can.)
I won’t review the actual play except to say by the end of it I felt compassion for Blanche and a good bit of disdain for her sister. The long and the short of it is I really enjoyed Streetcar and look forward to dipping into a new genre. I’ve already put the1951 movie version with Marlon Brando and Vivien Leigh in my Netflix queue. (When I saw Vivien Leigh played Blanche, I couldn’t resist! Scarlett is my favorite literary character and Vivien Leigh will always be may image of her. Can’t wait to see how she pulled off Blanche!)
Sorry for the rambling review. Highly recommend this one!

1 comment:

K said...

Buenos dias, B!
OH how you remind me I miss reading!! Since we've been here, I've not read for pleasure much at all- shortage of books, excess of study! We're just a few weeks from getting back to the States, and Borders or no, among the first stops will be book stores and libraries!!
Meanwhile, I may give the poetry a go!
I was a PoliSci major too- so much good conversation to be had, but I confess, 25 years later, my passions have completely changed. :-)
Blessings to you and your today!
k

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4