3.20.2011

Book Review: Normal Kingdom Business

Normal Kingdom Business

Normal Kingdom Business: A Collection of Essays
 by Andree Seu, 128 pages, God's World Publications; Limited 1st edition (October 26, 2006); ISBN-10: 0977929922
Source:
Given by a friend

Rating: 5 of 5 STARS
Andree Seu was known to me from her weekly essays in World Magazine. They are always excellent and usually in the very last pages of the magazine. I love World and Andree's essays are like a scrumptious dessert at the end of a great meal. Normal Kingdom Business is a collection of her essays on topics ranging from greeting cards to mentoring. It's just a plain good book. The only negative I have is that each essay is about 800 words and I had to keep myself from devouring too many in one day. Just like a great dessert, you're tempted to eat the whole book in one sitting when instead you really should string out the pleasure over multiple days. She gives much to ponder and enjoy in each essay.

My favorite essay is tittled "Strike Up the Lyre" and is about the "worship wars" that happens in a lot of churches and Christian communities. You know, praise and worship music vs. age-old hymns. In 800 words, Andree summed my feelings on it with much more clarity and grace than I ever could. Here's a snippet:

" Yet we take our orders from Scripture alone (sola Scriptura), which says nothing about 18th-century music being holier than 21st-century, or "thou" being better than "you," or Hammond organs more spiritual than Yamaha guitars. The unflattering truth is that I am a recovering musical snob - some latter day Michal despising David from her latticed window, scruples barely concealing the devil in her heart (2 Samuel 6:16). 


...Why not embrace all kinds of reverent and God-honoring song as a way of loving the brethren? As we enlarge our tents to make place for organ, fiddle, lyre, horn, and drum, we acknowledge that God's heart in this age is an evangelizing heart. 


Modernity and reverence. No necessary contradiction. "The Little Drummer Boy" sings: "I play my drum for Him" (i.e., it is only a crude and humble thing that I am able to bring). He also sings, "I play my best for Him" (i.e., I don't bring Him sloppiness but only my utmost for His Highest.)"


I thought of these words as we sang "Sanctuary" this morning in church with piano, drums, guitars, and (a new beautiful addition to our praise team!!) sax. The musicians (and I think the congregation, too) were bringing our crude, humble, and best gifts to the King to worship and adore Him on this beautiful Sabbath day in the Sandhills.

So - I highly recommend this little book and know I'll come back to it again sometime to read as part of morning devotions.

Blessings!

No comments:

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4