11.04.2010

novpad: day 3

Ah - better late than never! Actually, I started writing this last night in my head as I was going to sleep, so I suppose that counts.

So, day 3's prompt at Poetic Asides was to write a "location" poem. Here's mine:

Bed

You are asleep when I get home –
exhausted from a three-day trip.

Turning off the lamp I nudge
you gently to get under the covers

then slip in and fit my head to your shoulder,
knees to knees, breast to back.

I tuck my arm around your chest and
even in sleep you open your hand

to receive mine. We both sigh –
here is a deep gulp of cool water

after a day’s long, hot walk. Your
presence quenches my soul’s thirst.

I pray my girls one day find this too –
a place of wordless rest and safety.

And peace – breaths to match and
hands to hold as they slowly drift to sleep.


No comments:

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4