11.01.2010

novpad: day 1

I did the April 2009 PAD Challenge.

Every day. I swear.

It was good.

I'd like to say I'll do this one, too. But I'm not so sure of myself right now.

I know it would be good for me to dribble out all these emotions and thoughts, to get them down on page or screen.

Today's challenge was to write a "closing the door" or "turning the page" poem. Wow. How appropriate as we're FIVE DAYS from The Boy's wedding! Definitely turning a page. No one prepared me for the roller coaster emotions.

So...

Asunder

Watching from across the room
I was sure you weren’t feeling well.
It’s those crinkles by your eyes and
the way you lean a little to the left
sitting there on the couch.

Of course if I asked
you would just say,
“No, I’m fine.”

You always do.
You have to be at
Death’s door to admit
sickness.

I know this about you
like I know so many
other things that go
unspoken between us.

Then knowledge hit me with
such strength I took a step back
and leaned against the wall.

A week from now you will be
a married man and another woman
will begin to know all your little signs
of illness. She will see the eyes

and the slouch

and probably notice much more
than I ever have.

“And the two shall become one flesh.”

Yes, that is right.
The right way of the world.

And she is perfect for you -
made to complete you,
to be your helper,
your "ezer", a warrior
fighting by your side
through this wild place
we call Life.

But where does the Bible
talk about the two
who once were one flesh,
mother and son,
but now are
not?

Who for nine months shared
blood and body and breath?

These two that have been slowly-
through the years-
torn asunder?

It is right.
And I am happy.
Yes, grateful.
I am.


No comments:

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4