While praying the Our Father this morning my
mind snagged on the phrase “Give
us this day our daily bread.”
I prayed: “It’s not just the physical food
Lord, that I need, but spiritual food,
too. Manna to give me a
thick and hearty soul, not thin and
transparent, easily blown about
by the winds of this world.”
But in praying this, I paused, realizing
just what I was asking, for I know
true soul-fattening food
is seldom a plate of sweet meats
set before us with silver forks
and spoons and lace
tablecloths. More often it’s a crude
bowl of bitter broth seasoned
with salt from our tears.
Both nourish – the first building
stores of fat to feast upon
during days of famine.
The second has hidden within holy
tonic needed to heal the
deep wound made
by Pride’s wicked sword, whether
wielded by another or held
by our own hand.
“So, yes Lord, give me this day my daily
bread, the sustenance that You
alone know that I need.
And help me to dine upon it in faith,
fully knowing it has all been
prepared under Your care.”
May you feast in faith at His table today, bloggy friends, whether sweet meats or bitter broth.
Blessings -
mind snagged on the phrase “Give
us this day our daily bread.”
I prayed: “It’s not just the physical food
Lord, that I need, but spiritual food,
too. Manna to give me a
thick and hearty soul, not thin and
transparent, easily blown about
by the winds of this world.”
But in praying this, I paused, realizing
just what I was asking, for I know
true soul-fattening food
is seldom a plate of sweet meats
set before us with silver forks
and spoons and lace
tablecloths. More often it’s a crude
bowl of bitter broth seasoned
with salt from our tears.
Both nourish – the first building
stores of fat to feast upon
during days of famine.
The second has hidden within holy
tonic needed to heal the
deep wound made
by Pride’s wicked sword, whether
wielded by another or held
by our own hand.
“So, yes Lord, give me this day my daily
bread, the sustenance that You
alone know that I need.
And help me to dine upon it in faith,
fully knowing it has all been
prepared under Your care.”
May you feast in faith at His table today, bloggy friends, whether sweet meats or bitter broth.
Blessings -




No comments:
Post a Comment