Space for God: The Study and Practice of Prayer and Spirituality Study Guide by Don Postema; Paperback: 207 pages, Publisher: Faith Alive Christian Resources; 2 edition (November 5, 1997); ISBN-10: 0933140460
Rating: 5 of 5 STARS
Source: Found in a dusty box on the floor of a used book store
This book was a jewel to find for $1. I used it as a morning devotional, but it's probably more designed as a group workbook/study guide on prayer. The author, Don Postema, uses works of art, the majority by Vincent van Gogh, to illustrate each chapter and to help reinforce the concept he is trying to get across to the readers. He calls these "Windows of Insight" and his method reminds me of John Eldredge's The Sacred Romance journal and work book and Ken Gire's Windows of the Soul. All three of these books are about (at least partially) opening your eyes and ears to the world around you, including art, to see the Beauty and Truth of God.
If you've read my blog very much over the months I've had a good many quotes from Postema's book, so I won't add any here. It's just a really, really good book. I'd like to use it for a study group one day. Or at least to reread it again for my own benefit. There's exercises at the end of each chapter that help build you to spending more disciplined time in prayer each day. I can't say that I'm doing everything recommended, or that I followed Postema's method exactly, but it has certainly gotten me back into the habit of spending time in the Word every morning and learning to just be silent before the Lord.
So, I really recommend this one, bloggy friends. If you're looking for a study on prayer, this would be a great choice. Oh - btw, for my more theologically-minded friends out there - Postema is definitely coming from a Reformed position.
Chapter Titles: Making Space, I Belong, Gratitude Takes Nothing for Granted, Gestures of Gratitude, Prayer as Attidtude: The Grateful Heart, Prayer as an Act, Wrestling with God, Prayer and Justice/Compassion, and The Goal is Glory.

Rating: 5 of 5 STARS
Source: Found in a dusty box on the floor of a used book store
This book was a jewel to find for $1. I used it as a morning devotional, but it's probably more designed as a group workbook/study guide on prayer. The author, Don Postema, uses works of art, the majority by Vincent van Gogh, to illustrate each chapter and to help reinforce the concept he is trying to get across to the readers. He calls these "Windows of Insight" and his method reminds me of John Eldredge's The Sacred Romance journal and work book and Ken Gire's Windows of the Soul. All three of these books are about (at least partially) opening your eyes and ears to the world around you, including art, to see the Beauty and Truth of God.
If you've read my blog very much over the months I've had a good many quotes from Postema's book, so I won't add any here. It's just a really, really good book. I'd like to use it for a study group one day. Or at least to reread it again for my own benefit. There's exercises at the end of each chapter that help build you to spending more disciplined time in prayer each day. I can't say that I'm doing everything recommended, or that I followed Postema's method exactly, but it has certainly gotten me back into the habit of spending time in the Word every morning and learning to just be silent before the Lord.
So, I really recommend this one, bloggy friends. If you're looking for a study on prayer, this would be a great choice. Oh - btw, for my more theologically-minded friends out there - Postema is definitely coming from a Reformed position.
Chapter Titles: Making Space, I Belong, Gratitude Takes Nothing for Granted, Gestures of Gratitude, Prayer as Attidtude: The Grateful Heart, Prayer as an Act, Wrestling with God, Prayer and Justice/Compassion, and The Goal is Glory.




No comments:
Post a Comment