The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller, Hardcover: 160 pages, Publisher: Dutton Adult (October 30, 2008), ISBN-10: 0525950796
Source: Farming of Books Selection for August (See sidebar waaaay down at the bottom)
Rating: Book Club Rating = 4.2 STARS; Mine = 4.0 STARS
Tim Keller is probably one of my most favorite preachers to listen to. I put him up there in my top five and I've been fortunate to hear him in person probably three or four times at his church in NYC. But mainly I download sermons and listen to them driving back and forth to work or on long walks. (The first time I ever heard of him was when Matt came back from a PCA Mercy Ministry Conference talking about hearing this cool pastor from New York speak and how he exhorted the crowd to just get out there and do something, anything! to help the poor.)
So, I was happy to see The Prodigal God as our book club's selection. It's a really short read based on Jesus's parable we typically call "The Prodigal Son" The first half went a little slowly for me, but, then Wow! the second half gave me a lot to think about.
First of all, the title catches you a little off-guard. The Prodigal God? Huh? Well, prodigal means (according to TK) 1. recklessly extravagant, 2. having spent everything. So, the title's point is that God is a recklessly extravagant, spending everything on His children.
Second, the whole aim of the book is really at those (us - gulp!) elder brothers out there. Keller looks at younger brothers, lost in the world, but spends a lot more time on people in perhaps a more dangerous position of being lost in their religiosity. If you're a believer, be prepared to take a hard look at yourself after reading this book.
Third, Keller then takes a look at what the elder brother should have really been like, what he should have done for his younger brother. And from that discussion you end up with a beautiful picture of Christ as the true elder brother, one who sacrifices and leaves home to find and save that younger brother out in the world.
The slowness at the beginning is why I didn't give it a 5, but I highly recommend it to you, bloggy friends, and I've got it in my "read again" pile.
A few quotes:
Mercy and forgiveness must be free and unmerited to the wrongdoer. If the wrongdoer has to do something to merit it, then it isn't mercy, but forgiveness always comes at a cost to the one granting forgiveness. (Something my pastor Ken taught me a long time ago.)
There seems to be a sense, then, in which we are all like the younger brother. We are all exiles, always longing for home. We are always traveling, never arriving. The houses and families we actually inhabit are only inns along the way, but they aren't home. Home continues to evade us.
Speaking of the preacher that changed his way of thinking about Christianity (Dr. Ed Clowney): ...he also taught me that it was possible to be theologically sound and completely orthodox and yet unfailingly gracious - a rare and precious combination.

Source: Farming of Books Selection for August (See sidebar waaaay down at the bottom)
Rating: Book Club Rating = 4.2 STARS; Mine = 4.0 STARS
Tim Keller is probably one of my most favorite preachers to listen to. I put him up there in my top five and I've been fortunate to hear him in person probably three or four times at his church in NYC. But mainly I download sermons and listen to them driving back and forth to work or on long walks. (The first time I ever heard of him was when Matt came back from a PCA Mercy Ministry Conference talking about hearing this cool pastor from New York speak and how he exhorted the crowd to just get out there and do something, anything! to help the poor.)
So, I was happy to see The Prodigal God as our book club's selection. It's a really short read based on Jesus's parable we typically call "The Prodigal Son" The first half went a little slowly for me, but, then Wow! the second half gave me a lot to think about.
First of all, the title catches you a little off-guard. The Prodigal God? Huh? Well, prodigal means (according to TK) 1. recklessly extravagant, 2. having spent everything. So, the title's point is that God is a recklessly extravagant, spending everything on His children.
Second, the whole aim of the book is really at those (us - gulp!) elder brothers out there. Keller looks at younger brothers, lost in the world, but spends a lot more time on people in perhaps a more dangerous position of being lost in their religiosity. If you're a believer, be prepared to take a hard look at yourself after reading this book.
Third, Keller then takes a look at what the elder brother should have really been like, what he should have done for his younger brother. And from that discussion you end up with a beautiful picture of Christ as the true elder brother, one who sacrifices and leaves home to find and save that younger brother out in the world.
The slowness at the beginning is why I didn't give it a 5, but I highly recommend it to you, bloggy friends, and I've got it in my "read again" pile.
A few quotes:
Mercy and forgiveness must be free and unmerited to the wrongdoer. If the wrongdoer has to do something to merit it, then it isn't mercy, but forgiveness always comes at a cost to the one granting forgiveness. (Something my pastor Ken taught me a long time ago.)
There seems to be a sense, then, in which we are all like the younger brother. We are all exiles, always longing for home. We are always traveling, never arriving. The houses and families we actually inhabit are only inns along the way, but they aren't home. Home continues to evade us.
Speaking of the preacher that changed his way of thinking about Christianity (Dr. Ed Clowney): ...he also taught me that it was possible to be theologically sound and completely orthodox and yet unfailingly gracious - a rare and precious combination.




2 comments:
I've heard good things about this book, thanks for the review.
::wavewave:: :-)
on my list too!
I bought an ipod primarily so I could listen to Keller sermons while traveling this summer. A good way to pass miles!
I've been to Mercy Ministry conference twice- another favorite to listen to- Randy Nabors.
Blessings!
Post a Comment