1.28.2009

Good Words


Really loving this short story collection....

Janey often has night terrors, where she wakes up from a sound sleep with her heart racing and her breathing all but impossible. The idea of her own death seems to assume wretched form, and it sits on her chest, pries open her eyes, and mashes foreheads with her. The walls close in and the ceiling lowers. Darkness deepens. She does not hear but feels the words: YOU WILL BE NO MORE.

He says the word "strange" with that southern accent that hikes up a word in the middle and gives it an extra kick. "Striange."

She falls down the rabbit hole of her own eyes into a brighter future, where she is grown up and no longer oversensitive.

(From The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Small Acts of Liberation by Elizabeth Berg.)

No comments:

I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4