Sandra gave me an article earlier this year from The News & Observer titled the "Nine Destinations for Bookstore Connoisseurs." So far in 2008 I've made it to two of them - The Strand in New York and (as of Sunday) Politics and Prose in Washington, D.C. Here's the list for the rest of you book lovers out there and links to their sites:
1. Books & Books, Coral Gables, Florida
2. City Lights Books, San Francisco, California
3. Elliott Bay Book Co., Seattle, Washington
4. Politics and Prose, Washington, D.C.
5. Powell's City of Books, Portland, Oregon
6. Prairie Lights, Iowa City, Iowa
7. Tattered Cover Book Store, Denver, Colorado
8. That Bookstore in Blytheville, Blytheville, Arkansas
9. The Strand, Manhattan, New York
It doesn't look like I'll get to another one this year. Politics and Prose didn't hold a candle to The Strand in size, but I can see why it made it to this list. It had a really great compact collection. And of course, lots of political books. There was a cozy little coffee shop, too...And a great sales room. Marty and Matt were very patient to come with Sondie and I to catch the Metro and then hike for about 15 minutes up a hill to the store. We spent about an hour and a half there before they closed. Not nearly as long as I would have liked, but good enough.
Of course I purchased a few books - ALL from the sales room, though!
1. Apollo's Fire: A Day on Earth in Nature and Imagination by Michael Sims
2. Counting Sheep: The Science and Pleasures of Sleep and Dreams by Paul Martin
3. A Keeper of Bees: Notes on Hive and Home by Allison Wallace
4. The Wave in the Mind: Talks and Essays on the Writer, the Reader, and the Imagination by Ursula LeGuin
And Matt even bought something - A Johnny Cash CD! :-) He did look at some books, though!



2 comments:
Google says the one in Arkansas is only 2 hours and 26 mins from my house!
:)
It was a great book store...I'm still bummed that I went to NY and had to miss out on The Strand, but all the more reason to go back.
I'm going to do my best to get to the one in Seattle in Oct. I am so excited about it!
Post a Comment