What is the What by Dave Eggers: Read this for book club. I had bought it some time back at BAM from a library book pile for $3! It was a very long book, but I thought it was excellent. I love to read a book that teaches me something, moves me, and entertains. This book did all three. I knew about Sudan, but I didn't know. It's was humbling to think about the millions of people suffering in this war-torn region while I was living in relative luxury in the United States having babies and going to college. I definitely recommend this book! 4.5 of 5 stars.
Raney by Clyde Edgerton: I read this book because this was an author recommended by my teacher at the Duke's Writer's Workshop. I can't say enough about this book...it was really, really bad. Everything Southern, everything Christian was made to look stupid. The characters were very unlikeable. There was no resolution. Ick. I definitely don't recommend this book. I actually threw it away! Since he was recommended by Darnell, I'm tempted to try another book, but this time I'll be checking it out of the library, not wasting my money. 0.5 of 5 stars.
Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi: I picked this book up at Goodwill for $.50. It's a very interesting storyline: WWII Germany told from the perspective of a female German dwarf. It's actually the story of a whole village starting with their fathers and sons coming home from WWI through the years following WWII. The first 2/3's of the book were excellent, but the end seemed to fall apart a bit, I thought. But, still, I would recommend it. 3.5 of 5 stars.
Come to Me by Amy Bloom: I picked this one up at a used book store for $1. It's a set of short stories and they were wonderful. Some of them were interconnected which made them even more interesting. A few were also disturbing, but I forgive Ms. Bloom for that because of her captivating writing. She's a psychoanalyst in New York and I imagine these stories must have "bloomed" from her clients. Highly recommend. 4.5 of 5 stars.
On Writing by Stephen King: This book was recommended to me first by the librarian at Southern Pines Public Library when she saw I was checking out books on writing. So, of course instead of checking it out, I bought it at Barnes & Noble, but never got around to starting it. (Alas, that is the case with so many books I buy! But they do give me great comfort just knowing that they are there, sitting in a pile, waiting to be read. And yes, I realize I have a problem.) Later, I found a hard back copy at Goodwill for $1, so I gave the paperback to a friend. I still never started it. Then, at the Duke Workshop in May, this book was recommended as one of two writing books you should read if you're interested in writing. Hmmm...So - I finally got around to starting it this week. And I couldn't put it down. I finished it in two days, which is very unusual for me. I read Stephen King in high school and some in college, but got uninterested in his genre. After reading this, though, I might have to pick up one of his books again. This book both tells the story of his life and gives great writing advice. I was both moved and inspired. I have to give this one 5 of 5 stars which is nearly impossible to get from me. Nearly.
11 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment