I'm way behind on writing about books that I've read, so I'm going to use my Tuesday Tangent entry to catch up:
Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry: I read this for our May Book Club selection. I rated it 3.5 out of 5 stars at our meeting. It was beautifully written, but I thought it moved a little slow.
The Creative Brain: The Science of Genius by Nancy Andreasen: I picked this up at a Barnes & Noble when I went with Lynn to her doctor's appointment in Georgia. I love books on brain science and this one didn't disappoint. I would rate it at 4.5 out of 5 stars. Andreasen used a lot of historical examples of genius and explored the link between mental illness and creativity. :) She also had a great chapter on the process of creating. I would definitely recommend if you are interested in this sort of thing, but keep in mind that she writes from an evolutionary point of view.
The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian (Audio): This was the second book of Bohjalian's that I've listened to. It had a good twist at the end that made it well worth the listen. I would rate it a 4.0 out of 5 stars. It made me want to read The Great Gatsby...You'll have to read it to understand why. I picked it up at our public library because I remembered that Sondie had read it some time ago and liked it ok.
Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (Audio): Another audio book I picked up at the public library. I had seen this debut novel heavily advertised at Barnes & Noble but didn't buy it because I didn't find the "magical" aspect appealing. But I decided to give it a try as an audio book for free from the library. Really, really enjoyed listening to it...There's a whole witchcraft element (although the women in the book are never referred to as witches, per se), but the story was entertaining....almost like a fairytale. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 rating.
Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry: I read this for our May Book Club selection. I rated it 3.5 out of 5 stars at our meeting. It was beautifully written, but I thought it moved a little slow.
The Creative Brain: The Science of Genius by Nancy Andreasen: I picked this up at a Barnes & Noble when I went with Lynn to her doctor's appointment in Georgia. I love books on brain science and this one didn't disappoint. I would rate it at 4.5 out of 5 stars. Andreasen used a lot of historical examples of genius and explored the link between mental illness and creativity. :) She also had a great chapter on the process of creating. I would definitely recommend if you are interested in this sort of thing, but keep in mind that she writes from an evolutionary point of view.
The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian (Audio): This was the second book of Bohjalian's that I've listened to. It had a good twist at the end that made it well worth the listen. I would rate it a 4.0 out of 5 stars. It made me want to read The Great Gatsby...You'll have to read it to understand why. I picked it up at our public library because I remembered that Sondie had read it some time ago and liked it ok.
Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (Audio): Another audio book I picked up at the public library. I had seen this debut novel heavily advertised at Barnes & Noble but didn't buy it because I didn't find the "magical" aspect appealing. But I decided to give it a try as an audio book for free from the library. Really, really enjoyed listening to it...There's a whole witchcraft element (although the women in the book are never referred to as witches, per se), but the story was entertaining....almost like a fairytale. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 rating.
Sufficient Grace by Darnell Arnoult: This is the novel by my instructor at the Duke's Writer's Workshop. The characters were wonderful and Darnell very skillfully wove the story of two very different families together. My rating is 4.5 of 5 stars. I especially liked all the FOOD in the novel. Everyone was always eating something!
The Sacred Romance by John Eldredge and Brent Curtis: This is my second go-around with this book. I just finished a group Bible Study with it in April. I'd have to rate is as a 5 of 5, which I don't do very often! Life-changing book...highly, highly recommend it!



No comments:
Post a Comment